Sunday, September 16, 2012


I just got back from SMM (Sainte Marie-aux-Mines) for a weekend at the Carrefour Européen du Patchwork in Alsace France.

One of the vendors, oh you need directions? She is easy to find, just follow the smell the mold coming from her booth. You could smell her a row over from where she was located. Really.
She sells old sewing things. She had everything from an old children's toy sewing machine, to lace, buttons and fabric. I found this metallic lace there. No idea what I am going to do with it, but it does need to be "de-mustified" if possible. I will need to do some research on how this is cleaned, if it can be cleaned. I know, worst case is that I hang it and air it out. I bought the 7 meters of it that she had. It was reasonably priced and visions of Christmas danced in my head when I saw it. I have no idea the age, but it is vintage. It has never been used and looks to be in like new condition. I will need to put it somewhere so that I see it as I pass by the sewing area. It needs to remain in the collective creative part of my brain. It is very pretty.

 Alright, back to Teneriffe.
Score: Teneriffe maker 3, Me 0.

The blue thread broke and it was not worth continuing.
I took great pleasure in cutting it out of the Teneriffe maker. I thought it was kind of fun the way it kept it's form. There is something to this thread work that makes it stay in place.
 

I pulled out my linen thread and tried again.
Score: Teneriffe maker 4, Me 0.

As you can see, the top left hand portion has not been completed. The thread woven part got very tight and I was no longer able to continue without breaking the thread, multiple times I might add. . . Bummer. So close!
I went back to the blue thread and this time decreased the tension of the thread weaving. I think it is going to work.
In the mean time I am thinking hard about why I would need a square Teneriffe piece and I found another picture. I really like it when pieces fall together:
 
This one is from The Technique of Teneriffe Lace by Alexandra Stillwell, page 14.
SEW, this is how they did those beautiful corners! I find table clothes in second hand stores all the time with beautiful corners and I thought it was just fancy thread pulling. it turns out it is not.

1 comment: